Oudam in Montagu West

Oudam in Montagu West

Montagu West, also called the Oudam and historically “Vrystaat”, was settled in the 1850’s. Being geographically located beyond the Bath (Keisie) River, it was often referred to as being the poorer part of town. Originally, the community mainly consisted of farm labourers who worked in the vineyards of the village. From 1900 to 1930, the area was subdivided and drew residents from various cultures, professions, and racial groups.